[Samba] Re: Character set conversion problems with 3.0

John P. Nelson nelsonjp at genrad.com
Thu Dec 11 19:47:15 GMT 2003

>> ... Samba 3.0.0 on a Solaris 8 ...
>>
>>     Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
>>
>Install libiconv first (either from source or from a package as
>delivered by sunfreeware.com), then configure --with-libiconv.

I would have done that, but Solaris 8 already HAS something called
"iconv".  There is an iconv.h, and libc has functions "iconv",
"iconv_open", "iconv_close", and there's a support directory
/usr/lib/iconv.

Are you saying that I need to get a libiconv that is something
different than this?

Besides, I don't CARE about character set conversions.  If "configure"
didn't think I had proper iconv support, why doesn't Samba just silently
skip doing character conversions?  Can I run configure with
--without-libiconv to get Samba to be quiet?