[Samba] Re: Dual Interface

Kevin Fries kevin-nntp at hcico.com
Fri Dec 12 16:52:34 GMT 2003

> >The big question is, has anyone seen any howtos or
> >documentation on setting
> >a samba server to act as two samba servers, one configured as
> >a PDC and the
> >other configured with only public shares (restricted by IP not UID)
>
> I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that, as long as you had
> two instances of samba running, each with it's own seperate config.

The only thing I was concerned about was items such as locking files,
semaphores, named pipes, and the such.  Some programs do not like to have
their core run twice.  That is why I got nervous when it was not mentioned
in the documents.  I would love to hear from someone that has actually run
this configuration in production, or failed in attempting it.

> The only thing I'm not sure about is if you can share the same data,
> since that might lead to data corruption.

Not an issue.  The machines right now are logically independent.  I am only
putting them together on one machine physically so that I can rebuild the
PDC during production hours and not have to spend time over night.  They
would never serve the same data.  As a matter of fact, my goal was to place
all the data from the old PDC on a removable HD, and then just plug that
drive into the dev box.  This way, when I go to move the data back, I will
simply move the removable, get the service up, then worry about moving it
to the faster raid.  So, the data served by the PDC instance will never
physically reside on the temporary machine.