[Samba] .Xauthority & SMB

Shannon Johnson sjohnson at engr.psu.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:55:41 GMT 2003

> Well, the "No protocol specified" message refers to the fact that the
> client program tried to connect without any authentication (since it
> hasn't found the X authority file).
>
> Did you restart GDM after you changed the setting?
>
> It's also possible that .bash_profile isn't sourced yet at that
> point. Try adding "export XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.Xauthority" to somewhere in
> the beginning of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession and see if that does it. You
> could also try using pam_env to add the environment variables.
>
> Fredrik Tolf

Yes, I rebooted the whole system, just to be safe.

I changed the Xsession file, and this is the result (and it's quite
long):

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and
utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -1 ":0"
"test"

Xlib: No protocol specified

xsetroot:  unable to open display ':0'
Xlib: No protocol specified

xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xmodmap: unable to open display ':0'
Xlib: No protocol specified

/usr/X11R6/bin/xmbind: Can't open display
This is a test line from the .bash_profile file.

Xlib: No protocol specified

(gnome-session:1604): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Another relatively minor problem (irritating, if nothing else) is the
GUI login screen. It comes up with the "password" blank first, then
"username". I put in the username (test, in this case), then after it
waits for a second or two, it asks for the password, and I enter it. It
rejects it, then prompts me for the username again. This time, when I
enter "test", it immediately lets me in (skipping the password blank
again). It may or may not have to do with my other problem, but I
figured it was something I screwed up in my pam configuration. The
system-auth file looks like:

Auth		required		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
Auth		required		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_mount.so
Auth		sufficient
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
Auth		sufficient		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
use_first_pass likeauth nullok

Account	sufficient		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so
Account	sufficient		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

Password	required
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
Password	sufficient		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
Password	required		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

Session	optional		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_mount.so
Session	required		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
Session	required		/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

>From what I can tell, all the files in /etc/pam.d/ point to, in some way
or another, system-auth.

Shannon