[Samba] .Xauthority & SMB

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Thu Dec 11 20:08:44 GMT 2003

Shannon Johnson writes:
 > I changed the Xsession file, and this is the result (and it's quite
 > long):
 >
 > /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and
 > utmp
 > /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
 > /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -1 ":0"
 > "test"

 > Xlib: No protocol specified
 >
 > xsetroot:  unable to open display ':0'
 > Xlib: No protocol specified
 > [...]
 > Xlib: No protocol specified
 >
 > (gnome-session:1604): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

That's interesting, and it beats me why I didn't think of that
before. It appears as if the X programs called from Xsession are
(were) able to connect to the X server, which means that XAUTHORITY
has to be set correctly when Xsession starts. Remove the export line
and replace it with "echo $XAUTHORITY >>/tmp/xauth_log" or something
similar to see where gdm has stored the cookie. If the file ends up
empty, that means that the file is in the user's home directory (which
does sound strange, yes), but as far as I know, gdm always sets
XAUTHORITY before forking Xsession, so that shouldn't happen.

 > Another relatively minor problem (irritating, if nothing else) is the
 > GUI login screen. It comes up with the "password" blank first, then
 > "username". I put in the username (test, in this case), then after it
 > waits for a second or two, it asks for the password, and I enter it. It
 > rejects it, then prompts me for the username again. This time, when I
 > enter "test", it immediately lets me in (skipping the password blank
 > again). It may or may not have to do with my other problem, but I
 > figured it was something I screwed up in my pam configuration.

That does sound really weird. I thought GDM was hardwired to ask for
the username first. That ruins my idea of how GDM works, so the only
thing I can think of right now to solve it is to download the source
for GDM and debug it.

Fredrik Tolf