[Samba] "User may Log On To These Workstations" does not work

Eddie temp_storage2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 23:09:49 GMT 2003

When I set (through UserMgr) a list of workstations onto which a specific
user may log on to, that user can no longer access the shares of any samba
domain member (the user can still access the shares of the Samba machine
acting as our PDC).  After playing around and reproducing this with another
Samba domain member, I realized that it might have to do with the fact that
Samba appears (at least in the ServerMgr) as an NT Server and not as an NT
workstation.  Thus, restricting the "workstations" to which a user may log
on may prevent them from logging onto the samba "servers" altogether.

So my questions are as follows.

1. Is there a workaround for this problem?
2. Is there a way to force Samba to present itself as a workstation and not
a server (assuming that this would fix the problem)?
3. Is this problem one that has already been identified (and is thus being
worked on)?

Thanks
--
Eddie