[Samba] Unable to save permission changes on <directory>

jon wackley jonw at mountaincable.net
Tue Dec 9 04:54:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

Using Win2K Pro SP4, tried to modify the ACLS from explorer on windows side
by right clicking object and using the Security tab. I get the following
error;

Unable to save permission changes on <directory>
Access is denied.

The samba server is Redhat 9, v2.2.7a-8.9.0. Verified the SPRMS that
the --with-acl-support is used, and I used nt acl support = yes in the per
service section of the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. The linux file system is
type ext3.  Using the security = domain with a PDC as the password server. I
have looked everywhere for clear documentation on how to troublshoot this
issue with no luck. Could someone please suggest what the issue may be and
how to correct it? I'm relatively new to samba configuration so don't be shy
to suggest the obvious :-).

Thanks,
jonw