[Samba] Large amounts of long filenames

Dave O Connor dave.oconnor at voxpilot.com
Tue Dec 2 13:40:31 GMT 2003

Hi,

Using samba 2.2.7a, and I have a directory containing roughly 800 files,
which have filenames ranging in length between 10 and 50 characters. When
the directory is mounted on a linux machine, 'ls' produces no output
roughly half the time. When it does produce output, it only lists about 500
of the files. Also, this means that when I rsync the files, these files are
sometimes skipped, sometimes not (as far as I can tell).

When I run ls on the directory, I get the following message in dmesg:

smb_proc_readdir_long: name=, result=-2, rcls=1, err=123

I realise this may be fixed in samba 3.0 (I don't see anything jumping out
at me from the release notes), but was wondering is this a regular
occurance, and can it be fixed in 2.2.7a (I'd rather not move to 3.0 on
production machines just yet).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

	-DoC