[Samba] Some final notes: Backup Exec & Samba shares

Shawn Wright swright at zuiko.sls.bc.ca
Mon Dec 1 15:50:31 GMT 2003

Interesting...
Sorry if I missed the previous thread, but had you considered using the free BE agent
for *nix? We've been using it for several years on 3 production samba boxes and
BE8.6 running on an NT server. Speed is much slower than the Veritas agents on
NT, and a bit slower than non-agent backups from NT, bit it works. We are currently
backing up ~50Gb from Samba using the agent.

btw - I agree with your assessment of Veritas - after 6+ years with BE, I suspect our
next upgrade will be to another vendor. We bought 9.x last summer, and wasted 2
weeks trying to get it working, and finally gave up and went back to 8.6. All the while,
Veritas support was hopeless. I don't think they even tested v9 on an NT server, as 3
of our servers were clean OS installs and they wouldn't even install BE9!

When 8.6 no longer supports our hardware (the only reason we went from v6 to v8),
then we'll look elsewhere, unless Veritas changes their MS-centric focus. Their
requirement for IE on the server just to run BE9.x was the last straw!