[Samba] winbind samba and nt4 pdc

John Little jlittle_97 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 19:22:48 GMT 2003

Hi all

I am attempting to install winbind on a Redhat 9 machine with an NT4
PDC.  The winbind version is samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0 as a stock RH install.

I have followed the install instructions on the man page and I still
get the errors shown below.

I have searched google for the STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW (0x80000005)error
and the plaintext password authentication failed error but nothing I've
found has led me to a solution.

Something I am unsure about though is the sentence in the man page that
reads: In /etc/pam.d/* replace the auth lines with something like this:

what is the * in /etc/pam.d/?

I have tried those lines in /etc/pam.d/samba /etc/pam.d/login and
/etc/pam.d/system-auth but I am unsure if those are the correct places.

Any insight or other documents that would help me with this are greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
John Little

[root at infosys01-redhat pam.d]# smbpasswd -j hendricks -r hchdc01 -U
jslittl%password
Joined domain HENDRICKS.
[root at infosys01-redhat pam.d]# wbinfo -t
Secret is bad
0x80000005
[root at infosys01-redhat pam.d]# wbinfo -a HENDRICKS+jslittl%password
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW (0x80000005)
Could not authenticate user HENDRICKS+jslittl%password with plaintext
password
[root at infosys01-redhat pam.d]# rpm -q samba
samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0
[root at infosys01-redhat pam.d]#

=====
Happiness is understanding how things work.