[Samba] netbios name not working

Zack Ham hamoe at fexboards.com
Fri Aug 29 18:50:30 GMT 2003

I'm running samba 2.2.8 on redhat 8 right now.. I have 3 computers
connected to a switch, and a dsl modem, 2 of the computers are winxp
machines and this is the redhat box.  im running a samba server here,
but neither of the winxp machines can even ping the netbios name of the
samba server, and when i connect directly to the samba server via
\\ip-address it works -- but all the traffic is routed through my dsl
provider, not directly through the switch.  i added a static route on my
linux machine, but nothing changed except instead of 15K/s i get 500K/s
(still well under what i'd expect from a 100mb/s network).  also, my
netbios name is still not working... any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
Zack