[Samba] Moving Samba from one computer to another one

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Thu Aug 21 18:57:01 GMT 2003

Laurent Vaills írta:

>Hi all.
>
>I need to move the samba server from one computer (samba 2.2.3a, RedHat 7.2) to
>another one (samba 2.2.7).
>This server acts as a PDC.
>
>I configure the new computer to have the same workgroup but not the same
>netbios name. I also copied my profile from the old server to the new one.
>
>I switch off the old server and switch on the new one.
>When I try to log in on from my Win2k machine I got an error which says
>that the SID is not the correct.
>
>I tried to copy the MACHINE.SID and secrets.tdb from the old server to
>the new one but that does not work
>
>Does anyone already have this problem or know a solution ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Laurent.

Stop Samba on the new machine, delete MACHINE.SID and secrets.tdb (you
wouldn't needed copiing them), edit smb.conf on the new account and take
care to have domain master = no, start Samba on the old machine, start
Samba on the new one, then on the new one as root type smbpasswd -S . It
will store the domain SID of the old machine in secrets.tdb of the new
machine. Stop samba on both machine. Edit smb.conf on the new one, and
change domain master = yes. Thats all.

Good Luck!

Geza Gemes