[Samba] role of Idealx scripts

jonlists jonlists at cbsol.com
Wed Aug 13 18:49:44 GMT 2003

trying to get Samba 3b3 working with opendap - getting rid of the need to
use /etc/passwd file.

My confusion comes in where the idealx scripts comes in - i know that they
are not updated to be used with samba 3.x.

>From my understanding - under samba 2.x - the idealx scripts provide a
means of adding users to the system, by properly adding them to both the
smb and the ldap configurations, correct?

When using samba 3.x - if we do not have the idealx scripts - isn't it
possible to accomplish the same thing by using something like gq, provided
we get the new user template correct (the correct ldap attributes)? What
am I missing that the idealx scripts might provided otherwise?

As you can guess, I'm fairly new to this configuration. Thanks for any
assistance/clarification.

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants