[Samba] Print Job Names Are Obscure

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Aug 11 21:51:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 13:34, adam r. christopher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there any way to stuff a more descriptive tag into a print job name?
> The jobs we're printing now are of the type: smbprn.003447.sdfasa
>
> I seem to remember a way to put the sending machine's name into the job
> name.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Since nobody else seems to be responding...
(and since I spent a little time at DU ;)

If you're using cups - it looks like you are (you really should specify
that info in your original post...) this may apply to you.

I think you can't control the job names that get submitted unless
you don't use the cups api and use the lpr interface to cups instead.
Then you can use the % variables to sumbit the jobs to be whatever you
want.

if you want machine name you could use %m i think...

best wishes

brad

PS - I hope somebody comes along and says - no you can do it using the
cups API like this - ...