[Samba] Controlling files through groups:Update

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Aug 6 23:03:44 GMT 2003

Ok..i've been trying to troubleshoot this issue to see if I can fix it.

 From what I can tell, there are certain options on this program that will
require write access to the share.
Looking at the share, this is what it looks like:

[root at PDC-SRV point]# ls -ld CLOSED
drwxrwx---    4 root     cm           4096 Aug  6 15:58 CLOSED

The corresponding files in the directory also have the same permissions. I
had to do this to get a certain function in the program to work correctly,
since it requires write access.

My share info:

[point]
   comment = Point Program
   path = /home/point
   writable = yes
   browseable = yes
   public = no
   valid users = jwilliams @cm
   create mask = 770
   force group = cm
So here is what I need to figure it, to see if it is even possible.

How can I set it up so this share through samba, so that only certain users
can have write access to this directory, and everyone else will just have
read access?

Anyone have suggestions on how to get this setup and working correctly?
Im thinking I need to setup users in a specific group and give the share
owned by that group. That group will have r/w access. Then, the rest of my
users will just have read access.

Anyone have any suggestions? Im at my wits end here almost. :)

Jason