[Samba] Controlling files through groups

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Aug 6 22:22:31 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

Have a question here about controlling permissions and groups for Samba.

Our samba server is being used by our users to access files through a program.
In our initial testing, what I noticed is that once a user starts to work
with the file, and their are any modifications done to it, it changes the
owner to the user and the group to the group that the user belongs to.

For instance, here is an example of a test file we were using.

It had the owner of 'root' and the group of 'cm'.

Once the user accessed the file through the program, made some changes, the
owner and group were changed.
They were now:

owner = blackberry  group = loans

Couple quick questions here.
What im trying to do is setup a repository so my users can access the files
at any given time.
However, I can that what is going on will definitely pose a problem.

With that in mind, how can I make sure that any files that are accessed or
created by a user still retain the origina user and group?

Any suggestions here is greatly appreciated.

Jason