[Samba] QuarkXPress files

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 14:42:35 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Markus Dahinden wrote:

> We did that test with a new PC W2K with XPress. Same error.
>
> Then we shared a W2K directory for XPress-files. It works. All users can
> open/modify/save QuarkXPress files when they have according rights.
>
> So, this problem with XPress seems to be a Samba issue.

If you do a search on Google you will see that locking issues plague MS
Windows users in abundance.

What you have demonstrated is that you have a file access problem, not
that you have a Samba problem per se. You have demonstrated that there is
a problem with your over all configuration. You have laid out the fact
that there MAY be a samba bug, or a problem that is triggered by the way
that QuarkXpress (together with the protocols that your MS Windows client
has negotiated with the Samba server) is in need of a solution.

> What shell I do next? Do I have to write a "request for bug fix" to the
> samba team?

Please send me (off list to jht at samba.org) your smb.conf file. Please set
in smb.conf [globals]
	log level = 3
	max log size = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

Then repeat the access attempt. A log file will be created that has the
name: /var/log/samba/'machine_name'.log, where 'machine_name' is the PC
name of your Win2K client/s.

Please compress the log file/s and email them to me also.

I will take a look at your issue.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra