[Samba] Samba Authentication2

Leonardo Rodríguez leonardorleon at cantv.net
Mon Apr 28 19:48:58 GMT 2003

Robert,

Maybe I wasn't the specific enough, the thing is as follow....

I want to map a network drive in the Linux Box with the Windows Explorer,
so I put the path of the network drive and then it ask me for an username
and its password. Well, the username I want to use is an user registered in
the PDC (win2k) which is not registered in the Linux Box but I don't want
to include each PDC's user in the Linux Box (It would be a madness)....
Another thing I know is that my Linux Box is authenticating the users in
the PDC because I do the following and it works well:

[root at rhvmw root]# smbclient -L rhvmw -U leosamba
added interface ip=192.168.58.102 bcast=192.168.58.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[MCSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        samba          Disk      Samba Share
        samba2         Disk      Samba Share
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba Server)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        RHVMW                Samba Server
        WIN2K1

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MCSE                 WIN2K1
[root at rhvmw root]#

And "leosamba" is an user registered in the PDC and this user is not
registered in my Linux Box which means that Linux is working fine with the
users in the PDC (win2k)....

The reason of this story is as I told you before I want to map a network
drive with the Windows Explorer but when I put the user "leosamba" and its
password it fail but when I use an user in registered in the Linux Box it
doesn't fail... it seems to me that it is a problem with the parameter
"valid user" in the smb.conf file which looks like:

[samba2]
comment = Samba Share
path = /samba2
valid users = %S
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

What parameter do I have to put above in order to work?

Thanks Again

Leonardo