[Samba] Samba Authentication2

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Tue Apr 29 13:23:08 GMT 2003

Leonardo,

	Maybe I haven't made myself clear enough.

	You still need to upgrade to the latest release of Samba. All it
takes is a simple running of one to three RPMs. This will NOT affect
your Configuration File at all. During the upgrade the RPM system will
detect your configuration file and will create the "New" configuration
file as smb.conf.rpmnew, leaving the old file in place.

	Beyond that, I have never personally joined a Samba server to a
Windows Domain. However, I do know that a Samba server is unable to
replicate the Windows SAM database, which is why Samba is unable to act
as a PDC or BDC within a Windows Domain. It is also possible that
because of this, Samba could be unable to act as a member server.

	However, if you have read somewhere that it can, then it is
likely due to some changes that were made in more recent versions of the
Samba server, which you are not benefiting from because you are refusing
to upgrade.

	How do I stress to you the importance of updating Samba to the
latest release that has no known security vulnerabilities and better
compatibility with Microsoft's SMB protocol? Simply upgrading could FIX
your problem and give you security. Why are you refusing to upgrade
Samba? This service isn't a Microsoft product, where upgrades can
destroy a server. I upgraded my production servers without giving it
much of a thought and there has been NO PROBLEMS. Just do it man!

	Until your commands below display the latest Samba release, you
will receive no more assistance from me. You are SERIOUSLY jeopardizing
the security of your server and the network that you have it connected
to. Until you have upgraded, nothing you say about your issue has any
relevance. The only relevant thing is that you are using an old release
that has less compatibility and NO SECURITY.

	Regards,
	Robert Adkins
	IT Manager/Buyer
	Impel Industries, Inc.