[Samba] Samba Authentication

Leonardo Rodríguez leonardorleon at cantv.net
Mon Apr 28 15:02:35 GMT 2003

Hi list,

I've been working with Samba 2.2.1a in RedHat 7.2 trying to authenticate
users which are in a win2k PDC. this is what I've done:

In my smb.conf file I have this:

[global]

   workgroup = MCSE
   server string = Samba Server
   netbios name = RHVMW
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = domain
   password server = *
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain logons = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[samba]
   comment = Samba Share
   path = /samba
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browseable = yes

[samba2]
   comment = Samba Share
   path = /samba2
   valid users = %S
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0765

------ end of file ----------------

I added the Linux machine in the win2k PDC with its Netbios name (RHVMW)
and I checked the line Allow pre-Windows 2000 computers to use this account
and after this I joined the linux machine to the Domain with this command:

   [root at rhvmw root]# smbpasswd -r win2k1 -j mcse -U administrator%password
   2003/04/28 10:16:00 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password
for domain MCSE.
   Joined domain MCSE.

It joined well... and I could do any user authentication as follow:

[root at rhvmw root]# smbclient -L rhvmw -U administrator
added interface ip=192.168.58.102 bcast=192.168.58.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[MCSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        samba          Disk      Samba Share
        samba2         Disk      Samba Share
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba Server)
        administrator  Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        RHVMW                Samba Server
        WIN2K1

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MCSE                 WIN2K1

Administrator is an user in the PDC. I could do this with differents users
created in the PDC and everything find but after a long time I try to do
the same thing and it fail giving me this error:

[root at rhvmw root]# smbclient -L rhvmw -U administrator
added interface ip=192.168.58.102 bcast=192.168.58.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

and I don't know why.... so What could be happening?  another question is
How can I set a parameter (valid user) in the shared folder (smb.conf) in
order to it can authenticate the users in the PDC? because I can only do
this with the Linux users.

Thanks in advance

Leonardo