[Samba] Winbind-Problem in Samba 2.2.7a with Suse 8.2

Dominik Rappaport dominik.rappaport at schendl.at
Sun Apr 27 10:25:34 GMT 2003

Hi Outthere,

I run a small Windows Network with a MS Small Business Server 2000 and
want to extend it by a Linux/Samba-Fileserver.  I use Suse 8.2 and the
Samba Distribution 2.2.7a that comes with it. Samba works well
principally. But I want to use the winbind daemon to simplify the user
management.

I followed the installation guides from Using Samba from o'Reilly Press.
First I configured the smb.conf to let Samba work as a domain member
server. Then I checked that the libnss_winbind.so is in /lib including the
symbolic link. Then I modified nsswitch.conf to 'passwd: files winbind \n
group: files winbind' and made a run of /sbin/ldconfig. I modified again
smb.conf with the correct entries of winbind uid und winbind gid
(10000-20000). Then I joined the domain with smbpasswd -j with success
('Joined domain ...'). Then I started winbindd. A check with ps showed
that it run. I called wbinfo with -t that says 'Secret is good'. But when
I now run wbinfo -u I get instead of the list of my domain users just this
hex-number: '0xc0000022'. The same with wbinfo -g. And of course when I
try to access a share from a domain-computer I am asked to enter username
and password instead of that samba uses the domain-logon.

I have read lots of faq and other internet docs but none says what went
wrong if wbinfo returns just a hex-number. Maybee one of you knows help.

Greetings,

Dominik