[Samba] LookupDomain request gets STATUS_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN

John Broadhead it at americanconsultants.com
Wed Apr 23 19:56:14 GMT 2003

I have a Windows XP box that I am trying to get to join my Samba domain. I
have applied the registry hacks to allow the proper encryption parameters (I
think).

When joining, it asks for the administrator username and password then waits
a while and says that the domain doesn't exist. I used Ethereal to watch the
traffic to see if I could figure out what was wrong. If anyone needs this
dump, please ask. I can't post it because of size limitations. I have
noticed that near the end there is a LookupDomain request from the Windows
XP box answered back with a STATUS_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN from my Samba box. I have
been able to successfully join Windows 2000 and 95 boxes to the domain.

Let me explain my setup:
I have a box named goldengate.americanconsultants.com (66.89.101.43) which
also has an interface named gateway (192.168.0.1) this runs Samba 2.2.7 with
the new Redhat security rollup. In order to share printers without a
username or password there are 3 smb.conf files called from the main file
with "include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L". All have the option "interfaces
192.168.0.1/24". The main netbios name is GOLDENGATE and it is a PDC for the
domain WORKGROUP. I'm not including the conf files because there are so many
comments in them. If anyone needs them and knows an easy way to strip them
to the bare minimum, I will.

I have a Windows XP SP1 box named SANGITA with IP 192.168.0.200. It is in
the workgroup OTHER and I am trying to join the domain WORKGROUP.

After I looked at the dump, I noticed that somehow SANGITA is communicating
with 66.89.101.43 even though I thought that Samba shouldn't have even been
communicating on that interface. Seems to get a lot of communication out of
it though.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do to get this computer
connected to my domain?

Thanks,
John Broadhead