[Samba] RE: Samba and XP hassles

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Wed Apr 23 17:38:34 GMT 2003

I've found that XP Pro doesn't like it if you're in a workgroup and try to
join a domain with the same name.

Try these steps:

Change XP to be a member of its own silly little workgroup, and then without
joining the domain, try to browse a Samba share.

Then, if that worked (as user root), run the connect to domain wizard
thingy, and then on the last page you have to enter root/smbpasswd for
root/domain name.

I've gotten it to work against 2.2.8a - somewhere is a link to an IBM site
(this tutorial might help
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba.html?t=gr,psl=SambaTutoria
lOverview) that mentions what you have to do: I used the join wizard, after
editing the registry to remove sign and seal (and remove automagically
update machine password)

Hope this helps!