[Samba] SAMBA and Multiple NT or A/D domains...

Stephen Palmucci spalmucc at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 23 17:57:28 GMT 2003

To whom it may concern,
I've been investigating a problem configuring SAMBA 2.0.7 on Solaris
servers properly.
My basic questions boil down to:

*  Does 2.0.7 support authentication against *multiple* domain
controllers?
    In the Server.conf file we see line items:
    [global]
   netbios name = SAMBA
   workgroup = NT_DOMAIN
   password server = NT_PDC, NT_BDC_1, NT_BDC_2
   security = domain
   To me, this indicates that 2.0.7 can only authenticate against a single
domain and the password server line is where the Primary Domain controller and any Backup Domain
Controllers can be listed.
   Is this correct?  There's been a bit of confusion over allowing
multiple server names being listed on the password server line being an
indication that 2.0.7 can support authentication against multiple domains.
   Can you point me to any documentation making this clear?

*  Which version does support authentication against *multiple* NT
domains?
     I have heard that 2.2 does indeed support authentication against
multiple domains.  I haven't been able to find any SAMBA documentation to
confirm or deny this.
     Can you help me out?

Thank you,
~Steve