[Samba] None

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sat Apr 19 17:48:33 GMT 2003

> From: Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at attbi.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Peaceful coexistence; 2.2.7 & 3.0a
> Message: 3
>
> I have installed Samba 2.2.7 and 3.0a22 side by side.  The 3.0 install
> is from
> Mandrake contrib rpms and is set up so all commands, files, and paths
> are of
> the form: <command>3 instead of <command>, e.g., smbmnt3 coexists with
> smbmnt.
> I would like to use swat to handle the configuration.  How do I invoke
> swat3
> to edit /etc/samba3/smb.conf since http://localhost:901 invokes swat to
> edit/etc/samba/smb.conf?

I am the maintainer of samba3 in Mandrake contrib, and it's my fault that
swat3 isn't setup out the box (I have an aversion to SWAT, since I think
vi /etc/samba/smb.conf + man smb.conf is better ... and if you want a GUI,
use ksambaplugin - also in contrib ... IMHO of course).

Anyway, it is not possible to have both swat and swat3 running on the same
port, so you probably need to edit /etc/xinetd.d/swat3.

OK, after some experimenting, it seems that authentication is broken in
swat3 in the Mandrake 9.1 contrib packages. You could use swat from
samba-2.2.x to configure samba3, but you will be missing some features
etc.

To do it, so something like this:
1)Edit your /etc/services file, and add something like this (one line):
swat3           8901/tcp                        # Samba3 Web
Administration Tool
2)Edit your /etc/xinetd.d/swat3 file so the meat of the file looks like
this:
service swat3
{
        port    = 8901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = 127.0.0.1
        user    = root
#       server  = /usr/sbin/swat3
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat
        server_args = -s /etc/samba3/smb.conf
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = no
3)Reload xinetd:
# service xinetd reload

Now, swat with /etc/samba/smb.conf will be available on port 901, and swat
with /etc/samba3/smb.conf will be available on port 8901

You can try commenting out the server and server_args entries in
/etc/xinetd.d/swat3, and uncommenting the server = /usr/sbin/swat3 to try
swat3, but I couldn't get it to work in the 5 minutes I have spent on
this.

Oh yes, step 0 should be to backup the original configs which we kindly
comment well, and which normally contain pre-tested working configs for
almost any situation. Swat wipes that all out the first time you run it,
and IMHO, you then waste half an hour getting a good config with SWAT that
was available in the default config and would take 5 minutes to get right
with more features (which we can't enable by default, and some which
aren't applicable without package from contrib such as ntlogon).

I guess I should get around to rebuilding alpha23 on 9.1 to see if swat
works there, or just test it on cooker when I get back to the office on
Tuesday.

Regards,
Buchan