[Samba] Samba and solaris automountd

Michael G. Noble mnoble at rfmagic.com
Fri Apr 18 20:02:01 GMT 2003

I missed the orginal post, but this is easy.  Samba will allow you to
export an automount point.  So all you have to do is create a share
called proj which uses the path /proj.  Now the interesting thing is
that under Linux all the mounts in proj are hidden till accessed.  This
will probably cause some problems.  I just tested this under Solaris
and Samba 2.2.5 and it works great.  Since solaris does not hide the
indirect mounts the PC is able to see them, the automounter will just
mount the filesystem as it is needed.

Mike

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 12:36, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:09:48AM -0500, Robert Johannes wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> > I have posted a message similar to this on the solaris list. I'm trying
> > to export a number of shares that are automounted under a common
> > directory, i.e, /prog.  Under /prog, I have directories such as /prog/one,
> > /prog/two,  /prog/three, /prog/four e.t.c; some of the directories are
> > from the same nfs server, others are from different nfs servers.  The
> > beauty of automounting /prog is that I have one central place where I can
> > access all these shared filesystems from a single unix workstations.
> >
> > The question is, how do I use samba to replicate that same "beauty" to P.C
> > workstations?  That is, I want /prog shared out to P.C's by samba, so that
> > everything may appear, and be mounted as drive
> > H:\prog\[one,two,three,four] on a windows machine?.
>
> I would suggest looking in to MS-DFS. MS-DFS (Distributed FileSystem)
> lets your PC users mount a single drive that actually contains pointers
> to any number of other shares. Samba will need to be compiled with
> MS-DFS support and it will need to be enabled in smb.conf. You set up
> the MS DFS tree by creating symbolic links in the DFS root share that
> point to the real servers. I think there's an entire document talking
> about it in detail in the Samba source package.
>
> --
> Michael Heironimus
> --
Michael G. Noble			RF Magic, Inc.
Senior System Administrator		10182 Telesis Ct., 4th Floor
					San Diego, CA.   92121
email: mnoble at rfmagic.com               voice: (858) 546-2401 x207
					fax:   (858) 546-2402
--