[Samba] update encrypted?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:20:24 GMT 2003

What does update encrypted REALLY do? I don't mean to get an answer like
"keeps encrypted passwords synced with the plain text ones." I know this
is what it does in theory, but when/how/in what configuration? I know that
it has been doing nothing for me when people login over unencrypted means
and I have the parameter turned on. Is a password change what triggers
this update?

Thanks for the info -- the man page tells me nothing I don't already know.

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630