[Samba] Samba and solaris automountd

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 19:36:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:09:48AM -0500, Robert Johannes wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I have posted a message similar to this on the solaris list. I'm trying
> to export a number of shares that are automounted under a common
> directory, i.e, /prog.  Under /prog, I have directories such as /prog/one,
> /prog/two,  /prog/three, /prog/four e.t.c; some of the directories are
> from the same nfs server, others are from different nfs servers.  The
> beauty of automounting /prog is that I have one central place where I can
> access all these shared filesystems from a single unix workstations.
>
> The question is, how do I use samba to replicate that same "beauty" to P.C
> workstations?  That is, I want /prog shared out to P.C's by samba, so that
> everything may appear, and be mounted as drive
> H:\prog\[one,two,three,four] on a windows machine?.

I would suggest looking in to MS-DFS. MS-DFS (Distributed FileSystem)
lets your PC users mount a single drive that actually contains pointers
to any number of other shares. Samba will need to be compiled with
MS-DFS support and it will need to be enabled in smb.conf. You set up
the MS DFS tree by creating symbolic links in the DFS root share that
point to the real servers. I think there's an entire document talking
about it in detail in the Samba source package.

--
Michael Heironimus