[Samba] Slow connection

Koenraad Lelong k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Wed Apr 16 06:30:55 GMT 2003

Hi,
Last week I discovered that my samba-server seems rather slow. When I
searched around I discovered that I wasn't the only one experiencing
this, but I didn't find a solution. I experimented a little, and I hope
someone can suggest a solution.
First my server : SuSE 8.1, with Samba 2.2.5 (comes with the distribution).
 From a WinME-client I uploaded a 160Mb file to the samba-server. This
took about 45 minutes. Downloading the file took about 1 minute. Some
would say, look at the configuration of your NIC/hub/switch, but after I
did some more trials I think that is not the source :
 From my samba-server, I downloaded that 160MB file from the
WinME-machine, with smbclient, in about 1 minute. Uploading the file to
the WinME-machine also took about 1 minute. I think this proofs that the
setup of the network has nothing to do with the slow performance of my
samba-server.
If someone needs more information, please ask.
TIA
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong