[Samba] Printer setup -- How-to??

Kjell-Einar Ofstad Kjell-Einar.Ofstad at keo.no
Mon Apr 14 20:13:50 GMT 2003

Hi.

I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 (SuSE Linux 8.0).
My clients are running Win2000 Pro.

I'm struggeling with the printer setup. Could anybody route me to an detailed
step-by-step guide on how to do this right OR maybe explain it to me?

What I have is this:
-------------------
 [print$]
        comment = Printers ...
        path = /home/ANDROMEDA/printers
        write list = @winadmin, root

[DeskJet 870Cxi]
        path = /home/ANDROMEDA/lpspool
        write list = @winadmin, root
        printable = Yes
        printer name = lp
---------------------
QUESTION 1: For what purpose do I need the [print$] share?

The [DeskJet 870Cxi] - share is visible and accessible on my clients even
though I have to install the drivers locally (Yes, the printer itself is
physically connnected to the Samba server...)

QUESTION 2: Is it possible to set up the printer with the drivers installed on
the server (in the same manner as when using a NT-server) ?
- If yes: How ?

QUESTION 3: Why can't I see any printer-map together with my connected
disk-shares in "My Computer" at the client?
- I always have to open the Control Panel to see the printer! That's annoying.

                  \\ - - //
                  (  @ @  )
Kjell-Einar Ofstad

E-mail   : Kjell-Einar.Ofstad at keo.no