[Samba] Printer setup -- How-to??

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Apr 14 20:21:58 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 16:13, Kjell-Einar Ofstad wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 (SuSE Linux 8.0).
> My clients are running Win2000 Pro.
>
> I'm struggeling with the printer setup. Could anybody route me to an detailed
> step-by-step guide on how to do this right OR maybe explain it to me?
it's not step by step per se - but the howto collection does cover
printing quite well (www.samba.org)

> What I have is this:
> -------------------
>  [print$]
>         comment = Printers ...
>         path = /home/ANDROMEDA/printers
>         write list = @winadmin, root
>
> [DeskJet 870Cxi]
>         path = /home/ANDROMEDA/lpspool
>         write list = @winadmin, root
>         printable = Yes
>         printer name = lp
> ---------------------
> QUESTION 1: For what purpose do I need the [print$] share?
print$ is the share that windows expects to find when it tries to
auto-install drivers.  If you don't want to do automatic driver
downloading then i think you don't need print$.

> The [DeskJet 870Cxi] - share is visible and accessible on my clients even
> though I have to install the drivers locally (Yes, the printer itself is
> physically connnected to the Samba server...)
you'll need to use the printers and faxes folder on the server to upload
a driver to the server - see the howto collection.  One point that is
not entirely clear is that you MUST set the driver on the advanced tab
before trying to upload drivers in the sharing tab. (actually i'm not
sure that's true for 2.2.8 but it is for 3.0a23+)

> QUESTION 2: Is it possible to set up the printer with the drivers installed on
> the server (in the same manner as when using a NT-server) ?
> - If yes: How ?
see above

> QUESTION 3: Why can't I see any printer-map together with my connected
> disk-shares in "My Computer" at the client?
i think that's a win XP complaint - maybe only local printers are
displayed there?

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>