[Samba] Can winbind solve this problem...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Apr 11 00:53:54 GMT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Brett A. Funderburg wrote:

> >From a linux box, I mount a native NT share (mount -t smbfs -o<options,
> etc. etc>).

Ok. And if you check the man page on mount - see smbfs options you will
see that the CIFS client resource is mounted on your Linux system with the
following constraints:

	You must provide to the remote client: username/password
		- this means that all file access from Linux to that
		resource is AS THAT USER!
	You mount this resource on Linux with one uid/gid pair
		- which if not given as part of the mount command
		defaults to root.

> I want to be able to do an 'ls -l' in that share and have the
> owner/group information show the right thing. Currently, no matter what
> the ACLs on the file on the NT side, from linux, an 'ls -l' shows 'root'
> as the owner/group.

That is precisely what the mna page on mount will imply is the case. See
above.

> I was expecting winbind to work similar to ypbind in this respect but it
> doesn't appear to or is this not the problem winbind was designed to
> solve?

Nope! winbind resolves uid/gid pairs (at the Unix end) back to username
and group name from the other end. But your smbfs connection does NOT
provide that information - so it can not be resolved this way.

What you want for this is the new cifsfs stuff that Steve French is
working on and that will be in the 2.5 Linux kernel.

So for now, you are without a solution of choice.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org