[Samba] logon from WIN ME

tandrew1304 at earthlink.net tandrew1304 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 00:52:54 GMT 2003

first off, you don't need your [sharename] section at all..
the default smb.conf file that came with Redhat 9 should work
just fine :)

the ONLY reason you are unable to login to Windows Me.
is because your WinMe login name has to match the smb username.

you know, when you first bootup windows me, and the network userid
and
password it prompts you for?  the userid (and maybe even the
password)
*MUST* be the same as your smb id and password.

if you have multiple users trying to login, you can use the
smbusers
file to say something like

bob = winmebob
jane = winmebob

I know this is your problem, because I had the exact same problem,
until I looked at RH 9's  samba config application.  it was then
that it dawned on me that "Linux username" = your username
and  "windows username" = your winMe tcp/ip username  (which
you use at bootup)

make sense???

like I said, this had me stumped for the longest time too until
today
when it finally dawned on me...:)

-bubazoo-