[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Apr 1 23:21:41 GMT 2003

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com wrote:

> Tue Apr 1 05:27:58 GMT 2003
>

> Kurt,
>
> Thanks for the detailed checklist.  It, and your help, are very much
> appreciated.
>
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:49:58PM +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> readers -- it may avoid some traffic in the future... ;-)   But I can't see
>> a mention of your OS, and the source of your CUPS and Samba installations.
>> Self-compiled? Vendor-provided packages? )
>
> The OS is FreeBSD 4.8-RC (STABLE) with CUPS, Samba, and all supporting
> print packages (gimp-print, etc.) compiled from source via the FreeBSD ports
> system.  Samba was compiled with the recycle and SSL options, though neither
> of those functions are currently used in my setup.
>
>> And your "smbd" is linked against "libcups"? Check for
>>
>>    "ldd `which smbd`| grep libcups"
>
> Cups is linked, as show below:
>
> davidski at geoff:~$ ldd `which smbd`
> /usr/local/sbin/smbd:
>         libssl.so.3 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.3 (0x281bc000)
>         libcrypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.3 (0x281eb000)
>         libcups.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libcups.so.2 (0x282e2000)
>         libpam.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpam.so.1 (0x282fb000)
>         libpopt.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpopt.so.0 (0x28305000)
>         libc.so.4 => /usr/lib/libc.so.4 (0x2830c000)
>
> I've just completed a round of tests, with the full procedure and results
> listed below.  Since it's rather lengthy, I'll summarize here:  Using the
> CUPS PS driver, I cannot rectify the error where Windows claims the driver is
> not installed.  Also, enumprinters 3 causes a core dump in rpcclient, though
> levels 2 and below complete.
>
> Removing the CUPS drivers from both Samba and the Windows client, then
> reinstalling the Adobe driver, allows Windows clients to connect, and print
> properly.
>
> The procedure and results are as follows:

[ ...have not been able to carefully study your session protocol -- will do
   tomorrow...]

I am nearly on my wits end. Everything further from here will likely involve
increasing the Samba debuglevel to 3 and more and do a detailled analysis of
what is going on and why the WinXP-SP1 client thinks it gets no proper PS
driver files offered....

One quick (new) thought, though:

What is the PPD you use for the Canon_BJC like? Can you post the output of
"head -n 40 /etc/cups/ppd/Canon_PJC.ppd" (or some more or less lines, to show
the PPD header)?

Can you check the syntax of the PPD online at http://www.cups.org/testppd.php?

Maybe you should also post the problem on one of the CUPS mailing lists, to
draw the CUPS developers' attention to it.

Cheers,
Kurt