[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com
Tue Apr 1 23:53:11 GMT 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 01:21:41AM +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> One quick (new) thought, though:
>
> What is the PPD you use for the Canon_BJC like? Can you post the output of
> "head -n 40 /etc/cups/ppd/Canon_PJC.ppd" (or some more or less lines, to
> show
> the PPD header)?

Here are the first 40 lines of that file:

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%
*% For information on using this, and to obtain the required backend
*% script, consult http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-doc.html
*%
*% PPD-O-MATIC generated this PPD file. It is for use with all programs
*% and environments which use PPD files for dealing with printer capabilty
*% information. The printer must be configured with a Foomatic backend
*% filter script. This file and the backend filter script work together to
*% support PPD-controlled printer driver option access with arbitrary free
*% software printer drivers and printing spoolers.
*%
*% You may save this file as 'Canon-BJC-2110-gimp-print-ijs.ppd'
*%
*%
*FormatVersion:	"4.3"
*FileVersion:	"1.1"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName:	"GIMP-PRI.PPD"
*Manufacturer:	"Canon"
*Product:	"(BJC-2110)"
*cupsVersion:	1.0
*cupsManualCopies: True
*cupsModelNumber:  2
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 cupsomatic"
*ModelName:     "Canon BJC-2110, Foomatic + gimp-print-ijs"
*ShortNickName: "Canon BJC-2110, gimp-print-ijs"
*NickName:      "Canon BJC-2110, Foomatic + gimp-print-ijs"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 550"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 651"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 652"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 653"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 704"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 705"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 800"
*LanguageLevel:	"3"
*ColorDevice:	True
*DefaultColorSpace: RGB
*FileSystem:	False

Running my local cupstestppd command seems to validate okay, with the following
output:

davidski at geoff:~$ cupstestppd /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_BJC.ppd
FILE: /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_BJC.ppd

    CONFORMANCE TESTS:
        PASS    DefaultContrast
        PASS    DefaultCyan
        PASS    DefaultDensity
        PASS    DefaultDither
        PASS    DefaultGSResolution
        PASS    DefaultImageType
        PASS    DefaultMagenta
        PASS    DefaultOutputType
        PASS    DefaultQuality
        PASS    DefaultstpBrightness
        PASS    DefaultstpGamma
        PASS    DefaultstpSaturation
        PASS    DefaultYellow
        PASS    DefaultInputSlot
        PASS    DefaultMediaType
        PASS    DefaultPageSize
        PASS    DefaultPageRegion
        PASS    Fonts
        PASS    LanguageEncoding
        PASS    LanguageVersion
        PASS    Manufacturer
        PASS    ModelName
        PASS    NickName
        PASS    PageSize
        PASS    PageRegion
        PASS    Product
        PASS    ShortNickName

Interestingly, the testppd web link you sent reports that this PPD fails with
the message:

Canon_BJC.ppd: FAIL
      **FAIL**  BAD ModelName - "," not allowed in string.
                REF: Pages 59-60, section 5.3.

I'll regenerate the foomatic PPD from linuxprinting.org tonight and verify
that my PPD is current.  If so, I'll test with and without the "," in my
PPD file and see if that corrects the problem.

As always, thanks for all your time and effort.

David