[Samba] Wierdness using Samba PDC with WinXP-Pro and Win2K-Pro clients

Joe Samba samba at gnosys.biz
Wed Sep 25 12:05:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 14:42, "Kenneth Illingsworth" wrote:

> See if the following Q article helps:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q259716

Thanks for the reply, Ken.  I read the article on enabling or disabling disk
write caching.  I'm not sure if you meant that I should try enabling or
disabling disk write caching on one or both of the clients, or if you meant
that I should try experimenting with disk write caching on the samba server.
Maybe you meant that I should try everything related to disk write caching?

In any case, I did try experimenting with disk write caching on the server by
trying both Boolean values for the samba tuning options, "strict sync" and
"sync always."  As expected, the application slowed way down when these
options were set to "yes," but otherwise, there was no change in the
wierdness I mentioned in my original post.

It is still the case that if I start the database application on the WinXP Pro
client first and then start it on the Win2K client subsequently, the app
running on the XP client crashes with the next operation that I attempt.

I also tried disabling disk write caching on the XP client and on the 2K
client (each has only one local disk).  I didn't expect this to affect
anything because it is the network file system offered up by the samba server
where all of the reads and writes are taking place, but I tried it anyway.
No change in the wierdness, so I returned disk write caching to enabled on
both clients.

If anyone has any other ideas for solving the problem, I would really
appreciate hearing them!

Regards,
Joe