[Samba] Microsoft outlook or outlook express and roaming profiles

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Oct 30 20:47:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 15:01, Walter Mautner wrote:
> > Dimitrios Stergiou wrote:
>
> > What we are seeing is that they store their settings under
> > the profile in a
> > dir called "Local Settings" that does not move along with the profile.
> >
> > Thus when a user setup the client in one machine, then when
> > he goes to another
> > he has to re-configure outlook
> >
> I would _not_ put a outlook-mailfile somewhere on the profile path,
> as it's copied back and forth on every logon/logoff ... considering
> the usual habit of accumulating all mails, attachments included, in
> that file till it grows past any userspace and -time limitation.
> A better idea would be to redirect its path to the server, which can
> be achieved using poledit and the outlook template (*.adm file) from
> the Office XP ressource kit. Make a share which contains %U in its
> path, don't forget to create the folders with appropriate permissions.
> You have to turn off client side caching (csc policy = disable) as
> well as oplocks, due to the database structure and accessmode of
> mailfiles.
I warned of this problem in my response - however
I'm not sure  if the imap situation will have an effect.

I think that with imap the outlook files don't get out of hand.
The profile method avoids you having to create directories for every
outlook user.

I agree that the resource kit method is superior in all other cases.
I don't have access to the resource kit and I imagine that other don't
either.

brad