[Samba] Microsoft outlook or outlook express and roaming profiles

Walter Mautner rentuam_retlaw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 20:03:01 GMT 2002

> Dimitrios Stergiou wrote:

> What we are seeing is that they store their settings under
> the profile in a
> dir called "Local Settings" that does not move along with the profile.
>
> Thus when a user setup the client in one machine, then when
> he goes to another
> he has to re-configure outlook

I would _not_ put a outlook-mailfile somewhere on the profile path,
as it's copied back and forth on every logon/logoff ... considering
the usual habit of accumulating all mails, attachments included, in
that file till it grows past any userspace and -time limitation.
A better idea would be to redirect its path to the server, which can
be achieved using poledit and the outlook template (*.adm file) from
the Office XP ressource kit. Make a share which contains %U in its
path, don't forget to create the folders with appropriate permissions.
You have to turn off client side caching (csc policy = disable) as
well as oplocks, due to the database structure and accessmode of
mailfiles.