[Samba] Unable to login with regular Linux accounts?

Scott Wrosch swrosch at MarketingAssociates.com
Wed Oct 30 20:14:17 GMT 2002

Hello,

This may be kind of a dumb question, as it's something I could easily be overlooking, but I'm confused anyways.

My Samba server is part of the MA domain.  However, I want a couple of non-domain accounts to still be able to access Samba shares.  The machines trying to access the shares are Win2k machines, and whenever I try to access the server, it asks me for the username and password.

I had it working before I joined the domain, and it could have been working after I joined it as well, but I honestly don't remember.  Attached is my smb.conf file..  Any ideas?  I'm completely confused.

smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = MA
   server string = Windows File Server/Local Web Server running on %L
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m.%u
   max log size = 5120

   security = domain
   password server = ma-main
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passw
d:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

   dns proxy = no

   preserve case = yes

# Restrict access to local network only
   hosts allow = 192.1.1.

# Winbind entires.
   winbind separator = _
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash

# Tell Samba that yes, it does need to obey pam restrictions
   obey pam restrictions = yes

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = %U Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[public]
   comment = Public Directories
   path = /home/public
   public = yes
   writable = yes

[mis]
   comment = Accessible to members of MIS
   admin users = @MA_mis
   force directory security mode = 770
   valid users = @MA_mis
   path = /home/mis
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

Thanks,

Scott Wrosch
desk 248.333.7700 x227
pager 248.806.7657
text 2488067657 at paging.acswireless.com
email swrosch at marketingassociates.com

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling
but in rising every time we fall." -- Confucius