[Samba] Re: Samba Question w/ RH 7.3 and Windows

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 13:02:44 GMT 2002

--- Scott Wrosch <kc8lir at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A question I'm sure has been answered before, but
> I'm
> still relatively new to Samba, and having just
> moved,
> have not been able to locate any of my Samba
> reference
> materials.
>
> Anyways, I'm running a small Samba server at work
> using RedHat Linux 7.3.  I did not set up Samba
> during
> the RedHat installation, but rather downloaded it
> and
> installed it afterwards.
>
> Anyways, the network uses a Windows 2000 Server as
> the
> PDC.  And we have various groups set up in the
> server.
>  What I want to do is set up a share that can be
> accessible only by the members of a specific group
> that's already created in the Active Directory
> setup.
> Can this be done?

It should be possible using Winbind if your 2000
server is running in mixed mode.  Follow the
directions here:
http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#WINBIND

I installed RedHat 7.3 and used the samba rpm
downloaded from a samba FTP site.  I had to add
winbind to the nsswitch.conf, then I added the winbind
settings to smb.conf, and then I started the winbind
service.  That was about it.  I tested it with getent
group, which showed all of our NT groups.  Good.  Then
I could run this:

chown -R 'DOMAIN\USER'.'DOMAIN\GROUP' /share/point
find /share/point -type d -printf "\"%p\"\n" | xargs
chmod 770
# Isn't there a better way to do this???
find /share/point -type f -printf "\"%p\"\n" | xargs
chmod 660

We implemented ACLs into the kernel and Samba but
despite the claims of the authors, we're not sure if
they are stable (we might be having other problems,
though, and are trying to track them down).  ACLs
allow you to add more than one NT global group to a
file.

Good luck,
/dev/idal