[Samba] Samba as a NT PDC

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 17 16:00:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Adam Lang wrote:

> CARTER is the name of the linux Samba server that is the PDC.
>
> According to my documentation, I am suppsoed to do the following.
>
> 1) Create the Unix account:
>  /usr/sbin/useradd -c 'Samba PDC for CHERRY_HILL' -M -s /dev/null CARTER$

You do NOT need to do this for the domain controller. You need to
configure the correct settings in your smb.conf file. Please check out
the new configuration Wizard in SWAT that is in Samba-2.2.6 (released
yesterday).

You can find samba-2.2.6 on the samba FTP sites.

To access SWAT point your web browser at http://lcoalhost:901, log in as
root.

PS: When you add your workstations suggest you use:
	useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null carter\$

Note: Windows machine name is lower case.

> 2) Add a machine account
> smbpasswd -a -m CARTER

You do not need to add a machine account for the server that samba is
running on as the domain controller. If the samba server is a domain
member then you do require a machine account. Again, keep the machine name
in lower case for:
	smbpasswd -a -m carter

> 3) Add it to the domain (which it is the PDC of)
> smbpasswd -j CHERRY_HILL

If your samba server is the domain controller then you do NOT need to
(should not do) this. You only need to do this for all machines that will
be domain members.
	smbpasswd -r "pdc_name" -j "domain_name"

> I am NOT adding an XP machine in at this time.  I am setting up the PDC.  So
> yes, I DO know what the -j option is for.

Hope this helps you.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra