[Samba] Password aging ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Thu Oct 17 15:42:00 GMT 2002

Greetings ...

	A quick question more to confirm a few things reguarding SMB passwords,
which I hope might be able to look at for password aging.

	I saw some discussion on samba-tech list, but nothing conclusive.

	LM and NT hashs don't have a salt?  Do they? ... In other words, a
password "password" LM hashed, always comes out as
"E52CAC67419A9A224A3B108F3FA6CB6D" not matter the case?  Just checks,
but I take it a password "password" NT hashed is case sencetive, but
still no salt, which means one could search a DB of a large number of LM
or NT hashed to crack a LM/NT hash?

	I understand that we can't use PAM cracklib to do password sanity, but
we could use all known hashs in a smb passwd DB, ie ... search ones
local LDAP DB for matching LM/NT hashs and not accept password.

	But I think that the rpc's to look after password expire and sanity
have not been finished, am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks.
Mailed
Lee