[Samba] Samba as a NT PDC

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:55:01 GMT 2002

--On Thursday, October 17, 2002 10:51 AM -0400 Adam Lang
<aalang at rutgersinsurance.com> wrote:

> CARTER is the name of the linux Samba server that is the PDC.
>
> According to my documentation, I am suppsoed to do the following.
>
> 1) Create the Unix account:
>  /usr/sbin/useradd -c 'Samba PDC for CHERRY_HILL' -M -s /dev/null CARTER$
>
> 2) Add a machine account
> smbpasswd -a -m CARTER
>
> 3) Add it to the domain (which it is the PDC of)
> smbpasswd -j CHERRY_HILL
>
> I am NOT adding an XP machine in at this time.  I am setting up the PDC.
> So yes, I DO know what the -j option is for.

Well, I don't think you DO know what that -J is for...

Look, if the Samba machine is the PDC for your domain, you DON'T USE the -J
option; that is only if the Samba machine is going to be a MEMBER SERVER
into an existing WINDOWS-RUN domain (a domain with a 'real' Windows PDC).
You say that Samba is the PDC, right?

And, if the Samba machine is the PDC of it's own domain, it doesn't appear
in it's own smbpasswd file (at least mine doesn't).

Perhaps it might help us to help you if you posted your smb.conf file
(because we are definitely missing some vital piece somewhere of what you
are trying to do).

- john