[Samba] Authentication Help

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 7 21:14:00 GMT 2002

Jay Compton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been pawing through Samba docs and the internet for a day or so
> looking to get Samba working with AFS. My basic Samba setup works
> authenticating against AFS if I use the smbclient binary, however I am
> getting rejected before even receiving a password prompt in Windows, saying
> that the location I'm trying to get to is inaccessible. Is there a way I'm
> able to authenticate to Samba, from Windows using my linux username and
> password? I'm not even sure if this is possible at this point, or if I need
> the samba server to appear to be a PDc or some such. Any help is
> appreciated, thanks!

This is the standard 'not possible with encrypted passwords' stuff.
Using plaintext passwords is not recomended, and presents client-side
issues.  In particular, you must hack the registry of any recent client,
and you get other client-side bugs.  In particular, many clients send
the password in UPPER case, forcing Samba to brute force it into the
correct case.  This is particuarly nasty against remote things like AFS.

Samba cannot act as a PDC without encrypted passwords.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net