[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 and NIS

Larry McElderry larry at ptcoupling.com
Wed Nov 27 14:14:01 GMT 2002

Is there a way to get Samba to validate users against the NIS (not NIS+) database.  I've tried compiling with --with-nis but when I
try to access a share I get this message in the samba log:
[2002/11/26 16:25:08, 0] passdb/pdb_nisplus.c:make_sam_from_nisresult(460)
  NIS+ lookup failure: NIS+ service is unavailable or not installed

It appears that it is still using NIS+ functions.  System is running RedHat 8 with kernel 2.4.19-xfs.  I want to setup Samba as a
PDC,  but really don't want to have to add users to smbpasswd and the NIS server.

TIA;
Larry