[Samba] PDC Problems...

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Nov 21 15:18:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:30:05PM +0000, Brett.Cook at students.dmu.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've looked through the archives and I can't seem to find a solution, so
> here's my problem.
>
> I have three Win2k clients and one Samba server which I set up as a PDC
> (or at least I thought so.)
>
> The domain is "THEMOLE" yet when I try to join the domain from the
> clients it says;
>
> "The following error occured validaing the name "THEMOLE"
>
> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
>
> I've included my smb.conf below and was just wondering if I've done
> something stupidly wrong?

Add "security = user". In samba 2.2 this is default.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> ---
>
> My smb.conf is :
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	workgroup = THEMOLE
> 	netbios name = TATTY
> 	netbios aliases = PDC
> 	server string = Samba Server %v
> 	encrypt passwords = Yes
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	max log size = 50
> 	printcap name = lpstat
> 	domain logons = Yes
Ack.

> 	os level = 64
Ack.

> 	preferred master = True
True? I prefer "Yes", possibly it run's with "True".
Check with the testparm command, all settings as you expect.

> 	domain master = True
Yes.

Add "local master = Yes".

Take a look in Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf Page 49/88

> 	dns proxy = No
> 	wins support = Yes

Ack. Make sure that your clients will use this wins server.

Frank.
--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de