[Samba] Does the newest version support Mulitibyte NETBIOS name?

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Sun Nov 17 19:29:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:29:18PM +0800, Fei, Long-Wen wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I remember that I can use multibyte NETBIOS name (just as Traditional Chinese) in Microsoft Windows to talk with the previous version of samba (maybe 2.0.7).
>
> But since I use 2.2.3a (which is included in RedHat 7.3), the log file name is incorrect when the client use multibyte NETBIOS name.  And when I use the newest version (2.2.6), if the client use multibyte NETBIOS name, then the client can not share anything with the SAMBA server.   At the same time, I can use multibyte NETBIOS name in any Microsoft Windows production,  and share any file or printer service to each other.
>
> Does the newest version support multibyte NETBIOS name?  If not, will be support at next version?

It looks like the multibyte NetBIOS naming support was broken in
the 2.2.x releases. As we're aiming to release Samba 3.0 as soon
as possible we probably won't be doing a patch for this immediately.

However, the APPLIANCE_HEAD cvs branch does has this fix included,
and I'm committed to testing and making sure this is fixed in
the Samba 3.0 release (CVS branch SAMBA_3_0).

Jeremy.