[Samba] Setting up a file server for Windows workgroup

Josip Gracin gracin at tel.fer.hr
Wed Nov 13 12:55:01 GMT 2002

Hello!

I have to following situation:  several Win2000 and Win98 workstations
which are all in the same workgroup (not domain, just workgroup).  I'm
using 'security = user' and I create all users locally on my Samba file
server.

Now, I need a way to control access to subdirectories of a certain share.
For example, user Joe must have a read access to shared directory
'\Public' while at the same time, he must have write access to subfolder
\Public\Uploads'.  Also, other users need different permissions for all
other subfolders.

I am aware of the solution where I create a new share called Uploads but I
would prefer something more elegant.  I believe Samba with ACLs would do
the job, but can anyone point me to some sort of QuickStart guide for
this?

Am I right in assuming that if I recompile kernel with ACLs, Samba will
simply honor the ACLs?  How does the meaning of 'write list' parameter for
a share changes then?  Do I need winbind for all this?

Thanks!
Josip