[Samba] Samba with Win2K client -- dual network cards -- same segment

Don Woodruff donw at minglewood.net
Tue Nov 12 20:21:01 GMT 2002

Interesting note:

I have a laptop with an integrated 802.11b interface, and a 10/100
interface. Normally, I use the 10/100 for the sake of speed, but
occasionally I like to go for a walk with the unit. Basic services such
as mail, web, etc. are basically unaffected (except in the area of
throughput), but SMB goes into a FUNK! Trying to access my Samba server
(2.2.6) over the wireless causes Explorer to slow to a crawl (no
discernable CPU utilization), which causes the machine to become a real
turtle. I haven't created any shares on my Win2K server to see if it has
the same confusion.

What I find sorta deplorable is that whatever the condition is - it
basically renders my laptop worthless except for browsing and reading
mail. I have to make sure I kill any mapped drives before pulling the
10/100 cable. The laptop is running SP3, so it's not a "fixed" issue.

If anybody has any suggestions - I am not expecting any, but I would
happily try anything.

Don Woodruff