[Samba] "smbclient //printserver/printersharename -c queue" doesn't work

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Nov 10 18:03:01 GMT 2002

Hi, all,

Problem:
--------

* How to retrieve a list of queued jobs from a Windows XP (and NT
   or 2K) box?

I've been searching for documentation about this on the web and in the
Samba archives, but didn't find anything useful.

   Linux (SuSE 7.3)
   Samba 2.2.4 and 2.2.6,
   Windows XP and 2K available (currently unknown state of Service Packs)

I found out about the "queue" command for smbclient (which I didn't know
before) but it returns nothing.

I can connect successfully to a shared printer with smbclient, I can then
use "print" to print a job. I can do this with "smbclient -c print" or
from within an interactive session at the "smb: \>" prompt. If I have the
printer disconnected, the jobs appear in the printer queue windows on the
Windows boxen (2K and XP) awaiting the printer to become ready. However the
"queue" command is not showing anything, not even if I use the very same
interactive connection from where I sent the job (so the user access
right should be the very same....)

The XP and the 2k boxen *do* see each other's queue content (double-clicking
the respective printer (in "networkneighbourhood --> other computer -->
printer-folder --> printer") brings a window with the job list and some
details about "document name", "status", "user", "no. of pages", "job size",
"sent at" and "printer port"...

Questions:
----------

* Is smbclient's "queue"-command broken in 2.2.4 and 2.2.6? Did it ever
   work? Is there anything special one needs to know?

* How can this be debugged on Windows? (I have currently no direct access
   to the Windows boxen -- my partner on the other end 50 miles away) has
   been able to find the "Event logs" on Windows, but apparently they
   didn't show up anything related to the "queue" command on the
   Samba/smbclient side)

* How can this be debugged on Samba's side? (Increasing the debuglevel
   to 10 or 100 did show some additional information *during* the
   smbclient session; I was unable to interpret it however, and nothing
   resembling of an error was shown, but also nothing resembling any
   queue information...)? [I can send an error log covering this part
   of the session tomorrow, should it help to track this down...]

* Does anyone know of any other (3rd party) utilities to watch a
   Windows print queue from Linux/Unix/Samba?

Cheers,
Kurt