[Samba] nmbd help please

Tim Wolters Tim.Wolters at dantegroup.com
Sun Nov 10 17:56:01 GMT 2002

I've been working on this for about a week now and can't seem to figure out the magic configuration that will make my Samba server work.  I've gone through all the tests in DIAGNOSIS.txt.  I'm running Sambe 2.2.6 on Redhat 8 and trying to get it to work on a home network with two Win XP machines.

smbclient works both to the local Samba server and to any of the XP boxes.

nmblookup -B SambaServer '*' works

when I try nmblookup -d 2 '*' it sees both the XP machines but not SambaServer.

SambaServer shows up in Network Neighborhood but when you access it, after several seconds, you get, "No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system"

also when I try a net view or net use from a windows client, it gives me the same error, along with the useful number, system error 1234..

the nmbd process is running and works locally.

i've tried everything suggested in the docs short of adding more debug to the nmbd source.

some relevant smb.conf settings are:
[global]
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   security = user
  password level = 128
  username level = 128
  encrypt passwords = yes